Before you register you child, please know...
As a member of the Fairfax County Youth Football League (FCYFL), CYA Football is one of 22 clubs participating in this League. In order to make this year’s football season a positive experience for you and your child, we would like to provide you with some important information as it pertains to the FCYFL game schedules so that you are fully informed of League expectations prior to registering and making the commitment to participate in CYA Football and in the FCYFL.
- Game schedules are NOT finalized until after the last weigh-in. The League needs to first understand how many teams are participating before a schedule can be completed.
- Approximately 70% of FCYFL games are scheduled on Saturdays.
- Approximately 25% of FCYFL games are scheduled on Sundays.
- Approximately 5% of FCYFL games are scheduled on weeknights (Mon-Fri).
- All game scheduling is done regardless of outside factors such as community events; the Washington Redskins home game schedule, etc.
- Weekend games are scheduled without deference to religious denominations. The potential exists that conflicts may occur and the FCYFL will go ahead and play scheduled games. Please be aware that the possibility exists for a conflict and personal decisions must be made by the family whether to participate or not.
- All game scheduling is done by the FCYFL based upon allocated space available to each individual member club.
- When games are postponed due to inclement weather, they must be made up as soon as possible because of the limited facilities (fields) available, the short seven-week regular season; unpredictability of weather, play-off and championship games, and the Thanksgiving Holiday. This means games could be rescheduled as quickly as the day after a postponement!
- With the introduction of the new turf fields coming on line around the county, FCYFL will schedule and reschedule games on these weatherproof sites in the best interests of finishing the season on time and not canceling any games! This scheduling pattern takes precedent over the “home” game concept experienced in the past. When possible, we will continue to schedule home games as in the past, however, “playing the game” is the most important goal we desire. In the next few years, sport fields in our region will undergo a MAJOR renovation to synthetic turf surfaces and we must be flexible and adjust ahead of the curve.
- The availability of game officials and the weather are the primary reasons for the initial schedule and subsequent schedule changes.
- Please keep in mind that the FCYFL has (24) member clubs from Gainesville to Alexandria, from Woodbridge to Loudoun County. The FCYFL tries to “look” at weekly match-ups, time and location of games when schedules are developed. However, the availability of facilities (lighted) or lack of lighted fields, significantly impacts “convenient” geographical scheduling. Teams are matched by draw, not by geography, so the possibility exists in each weight class that all clubs may play any other club, anywhere in the county. We are cognizant that traffic, early morning, and late night games, are considered an inconvenience by some people. The bottom line is that the FCYFL is an organization that has almost 7,000 players, a limited number of officials; limited number of lighted and turf fields, and trying to schedule all these games in a 7 week regular season is a challenge, to say the least, so we appreciate your patience when inclement weather causes everyone’s schedule to change.